Sunday, May 29, 2005

My original plans to go Hiking Saturday and Sunday had been cancelled earlier in the week, so
this weekend, began not unlike others...with a few bottles of soju and some good gogi.
Friday was my coworker Irene's birthday, so we agreed to meet after work for some dinner and drinks. Carrie suggested a little restaurant close to our work...very small and the Ajumma was very funny when she met me. Carrie told me that I was one of her first Foreigner customers...she was funny...wanting to make sure I liked everything and hovering around our table. Andy showed up fashionably late and we drank some more soju and ordered some more meat. My coworkers have been making an appreciated effort lately to speak more English around me...which means I was not bored during dinner. Being the first dinner we have had together in a long time, it was good to catch up with the girls and Andy on a more sociable level.
After dinner, I met Joanne in Tombstone for a few pints. Her friend Neil had arrived Friday afternoon from the Uk. He is here for 2 weeks to visit and tour Korea. Needless to say, since it was his first night in Korea, we had to show him a good time.
Let me regress just a minute....this past Wednesday I was at Hapkido and the Grand Master told me he wanted me to do my test for my green belt on Saturday (whaaaat???I just started Hapkdio a few weeks ago?). However as it apparently goes in Korea, they prefer to give the foreigners more for their money and seeing that the next test isn't until the end of August, he wanted me to do this test now.
So, back to Friday nights events....Being that I had my test the next afternoon I chose to cut my evening short (and by short I mean I came home at 3am...Probably the earliest I have left a bar in a long time).
Woke up Saturday morning with a headache and a terrible cold (the flu went away a few days ago, and apparently has been replaced by the sore throat from hell). After a shower and a few energy drinks (thank you to the makers of 'confidence'...I love you) I was feeling ready for my test.
The testing began at 2pm and to my surprise there was a million children doing their test too. Ahhhh how pleasant to have to do my test with a group of 7 year olds....may I mention who are all much better at Hapkido then I am.
It took several hours for all the testing to be completed, but everyone did well.
I got my green belt, but may have to wait a few months to actually get the belt. Some bizarre rule that you have to be practicing 3 months before you get your next belt...even though I have passed the test.
After the testing a group of us went for some korean food and later finished the day at a new Japanese bar that just opened.
Last night I stayed in...wiped from my day of Hapkido and Friday nights festivities.
Today I am off to Jinha beach to watch the Korean National Windsurfing Championships and then later tonight I am meeting my privates for dinner. Will blog later about today's events!


Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home