Sunday, October 24, 2004

In The Land of Morning Calm

So I am finally here ! I am having to remind myself every couple of minutes - I am here!
It's pretty, there are mountains and the sun is shining. Hooray!
My friend Ryan, my Manager Andy and the guy I am replacing, Gareth, met me at the airport (they even had a sign "Colleen" for me- so fun).
My friends took me out to a couple of bars to meet all the foreigners and it was really fun and everyone seems soooo nice here. The drinking is a little crazy here - we were out until 6am - and apparently that is early- we left because I was tired- everyone wanted to stay - truly crazy.
Ryan is off getting some food now- I took a shower (truly an experience- as everything seems to be here in Korea)- all one room- shower,toilet,sink etc. Funny but very functional and lots of hot water (which felt amazing). Also had a pee in my first Korean toilet last night - like a urinal in the floor that you squat over - not the funnest thing I have done here - my toliet at home is western style. - Kinda weird to email about - but it gives you a good idea of how different everything is here.
My area seems full of apartments- mine a 4 or 5 floor buliding - only my level has my apartment and my directors apartment - the rest is the school. It seems really loud in the day here - lots of cars and people yelling at eachother in Korean. There is a little shop just down from my buliding that sells most things - Gareth introudced me to the shopkeeper last night - she was really nice - hardly anyone here speaks English- but I am sure I will get by. Ryan is going to set me up with a Korean class that his friend is taking - he says its pretty good- and I won't have to buy the book since he has one already.
We are going to a soccer game at 2:30 today, hould be fun. I haven't been outside in the day yet- it is sunny and feels pretty warm.
Sorry for the blab- I am very jetlagged, but really wanted to post something.
I have to go- I promise to write again soon - no phone in my apartemnt yet- maybe later this week. Will send details later.


Colleen

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home