Saturday, November 13, 2004

A Day in the Park

When I woke up this morning, ok...it was actually the afternoon...having been out late last night with some friends I managed to sleep in later then expected. Anyways, when I awoke the sky was slightly overcast, the breeze cool; a perfect autumn day.
I had heard rumors of how beautiful Ulsan Grand Park was, and considering it was a mere 15 minute walk from my apartment, I set out to experience one of Ulsan's only urban green spaces.
From what I understand, the park was first opened in April 2002. It was established as a recreational park for the people of Ulsan and includes gardens, fountains, walking trails, and even has bicycle rentals.
It is beautiful and for the first time since I arrived in Ulsan, it felt like I was breathing clean air.
As I was hiking along one of the Park's trails..through the forest... I happened upon this little Ajumma ( Korean for Older Woman..literally translates into 'Auntie') who was also hiking along. She attempted to make conversation with me ..however quickly understood I didn't comprehend a word she said. After a few giggles, she smiled gently and urged me to follow her. So we hiked along together ...enjoying the peacefulness of the forest. In the distance I could hear drumming...getting louder and louder as we continued our hike in that direction. The Ajumma led me down a trail, through the woods and over a little gully. She must have been close to 70 years old, but I had to practically run to keep up with her. Finally, we came out into a clearing. She led me across the field towards an amphitheater that is located within the park. There were probably about 50 people; men, woman and children, all drumming traditional Korean drums.
It was amazing! Apparently, they were practicing for drumming festival or competition later this month.
For the next 30 minutes, the Ajumma and I sat entranced by this magical musical performance.
Finally, she motioned that she was going on her way, we smiled and waived good bye.
What a fun experience.
Now back home...I have chosen to stay in for the night. It is raining again, and I rented my first Korean film.
It is called Silmido and is based on a true story. In the film, 31 criminals, including a number of death-row convicts, are conscripted to assassinate Kim Il-sun However, just before they cross the border into North Korea, the mission is cancelled by the government due to the changing political climate. Orders are given to dispose of all the evidence of the special unit and their plans to assassinate Kim Il-sun.
controversial, and full of historical evidence about Korea's journey towards democratic reform, I am told this blockbuster movie is a "must see". Anyways, I will let you know how it goes.
Have a good night.
Colleen

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home