Wednesday, November 17, 2004

Just Call Me Chicken

Last night I had an interesting experience.
I must begin by stating that I love Korea. The reason I am writing this is to allow those at home a glimpse of what it is to be a Westerner living in Korea. None of what I write is meant to be derogatory or condescending towards my experiences here ...I just think some things are good for a laugh.
Ok...so on with my story.
Last night my co-worker, Andy, treated us all to a chicken dinner. When he asked me if I wanted to "go out for chicken" I first imagined the typical Korean restaurant where meat is generally served raw, and you are expected to cook it on a table top BBQ provided. However, this was not the case.
We arrived at the restaurant, which had an English translation on the sign outside. The translation clearly stated this was a "Chicken Hut". Hmmm....what qualifies as a 'Hut' exactly?
The seating was western style and they had forks instead of chopsticks (surprisingly, this disappointed me). We seated ourselves in a booth by the back of the restaurant and Andy ordered us some chicken. Now, I must admit...all of this does not seem quite so different then back home ..right?
The waitress arrived with some "appetizers"....hmmm what is this I said....so naive!
The appetizers were of course little, baby, fish....dried, salted, and I think some with sugar. There sad little heads were still on...there little eyes looking up at me. I thought we were going for chicken?
However, when in Rome.....
So after the fishy appetizers, the waitress brought the largest pitcher of beer that I have ever seen in my life.
It is too bad that I forgot my camera - it was amazing! Apparently the pitcher only cost 3500 won..approx $3.50.
It took Andy both hands to pick it up and pour us some beer.....ahhh Korea (I told you I loved it here).
Finally the chicken arrived ...an overflowing plate of battered chicken breasts. They were delicious, and reminiscent of back home (memories of Dixie Chicken perhaps?).
This was the first meal that the four of us ate together since Gareth left Korea. I have to admit, at first I was a little concerned ..it seemed that Korean was the language of choice at the table. So I sat quietly picking at my chicken and laughing when everyone else laughed, although I had no idea what the joke was. Finally, and to my relief, English was spoken. Mostly, they asked me questions about Canada. We discussed politics, religion, gay marriage and French language. I learnt that Andy can speak French, and Anna (who lived in Canada for 6 months) loves Second cup Moca coffee.
It was over this great conversation that we polished off the plate of chicken...my stomach bulging from the greasy goodness. Then Andy announced he had ordered a second plate of chicken.
Too full...I said...but not to complain (after all, he was paying for dinner), I ate more chicken when the waitress brought the second plate.
After dinner, I excused myself to visit the ladies room. Now, before I continue, let me regress for a brief moment....
An interesting fact about Korea is that in many restaurants they only have one bathroom...boys and girls. Additionally, in most restaurants you are required to take your shoes off when you enter...so there are plastic slippers in the bathroom for general use. The Chicken Hut is not that type of restaurant. We kept our shoes on...which led me to a brief moment of confusion when going to the bathroom (Where are the slippers?) before I remembered I had my own shoes still on.
Ok...back to my point of the story...
The bathroom at the Chicken Hut seemed pretty standard for Korean bathrooms. There was the toilet in the floor (which I am getting accustomed to), however, this bathroom had something I have never seen before...and I have to admit I find it even more gross then having to squat to go pee.
As I came out of the toilet stall, I saw it....by the sink there was a cup that held 3 toothbrushes and a bottle of toothpaste. Now, I can only assume, like the rubber slippers, these were for general use.
Maybe Koreans like to brush their teeth right after eating greasy chicken? I duuno - but I will admit I found it more then a little odd. Needless to say, I did not attempt to brush my teeth at the restaurant.
Regardless of the sad little fish and the (what seems to me as unnecessary) oral care in the bathroom ..I did have a good night.
Tonight I plan to go downtown - there is a bookclub every other Wednesday's at a bar called Mackenzie's. Thought I might check it out. I will write again soon.
Ciao (love you all)
Colleen