Monday, January 24, 2005

Wonderful Weekend

Sometimes it is important to take some down time. That time that is set aside for nothing but taking care of yourself - that is exactly what I have done this weekend. Relax Relax Relax.
Friday and Saturday I vegged in my apartment, reading and watching TV. I just finished reading The Da Vinci Code...Amazing book and I would recommend it to all of you.
Yesterday, I was invited to my friend Anna's sisters wedding. It was beautiful! I have posted many photos below so you can see.
I arrived at the wedding alone, not knowing anyone but Anna, however was welcomed with open arms by her family and friends. Being the only foreigner there, I was easily spotted and received many inquiring looks.
Since I had missed the ceremony at the last wedding, it was quite a different experience for me this time.
The wedding began with the two mothers walking down the aisle, followed by the Groom. When the Groom reached the alter a big puff of dried ice was released (let's just say it was quite original and VERY Korean). He then did some sort of 'push up thing' although I think it was meant to be a bow to each of the parents.
Following this, the dry ice now clearing, the bride walked down the aisle..no not to the traditional Wedding March, but to some funky techno music and disco lights illuminating her descent...very interesting.
The rest of the ceremony was equally interesting. My friend Anna, the bride's sister, remained at the back of the church, talking with friends and family and on her cell phone, while the vows were read. Many of the guests seemed more interested in preparing the confetti and streamers that were to be thrown at the Bride and Groom after the ceremony ended then in actually hearing the ceremony. Once the Bride and Groom were officially married, they turned and bowed again to each of their parents and then a third time to the entire group assembled for their wedding. As they came back down the aisle, streamers and confetti being thrown at them the Groom 'whooped' three times (not sure the significance of this but it seemed to be part of the ceremony).
After the ceremony, the Bride and Groom returned for photos with their families and friends (which I was invited to join in). This time, I did not stay for the dinner, as my stomach has been still a little wary of Korean food since the whole gogi disaster a couple weeks ago.
Then last night I met up with James (the man who hired me for the private lessons), Gareth and the teacher I will be replacing, Helen, for dinner. We ate some sort of Korean soup...with lots of vegetables and boiled pork (which I didn't feel the desire to eat) over rice. It was delicious. James and I discussed me meeting the students some time later this week and Gareth and I caught up (as this is the first time we have had to meet since he got back).
Now Monday, I have to get ready to go to work. This week is testing for all my classes, which means not to much teaching but a ton of report cards to complete by weekend. Friday is Market day for our kids, where they get to cash in their stickers received for good work and buy candy and little books etc. They are all looking forward to it, as am I.
I will chat later in the week - hope all is well back home.
Love you
Ciao Colleen

2 Comments:

At 1:04 a.m. , Blogger gingerpants said...

hello! just came across ur page..
have always been quite interested in the Korean culture, i think their language is fascinating and more so their culture. have always wanted to travel to Korea and teach English there but pity one of my exboyfriends is korean.. put me off the language, culture, country, food and men ALTOGETHER! ;) ;)
Good luck with the teaching though! the korean wedding was very interesting to read about!

 
At 2:21 a.m. , Blogger V said...

Yes, the wedding was very interesting. It´s wierd to see how other cultures reinterpret western traditions. You end up with this surreal event, that seems familiar, but tastes different.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home