Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Happy with Hapkido

I realized it has been a while...not that things haven't been happening, just have been lazy about writing.
Hmmm... where to begin.
After my birthday, I decided to attempt to get healthy. The warm weather and the fact that I can't fit into any of my summer clothes got me motivated to start running again. It was a year ago that I ran a half marathon, and I decided it was time to get moving again.
unfortunately, the roads here leave a lot to be desired, especially when it comes to running. Uneven sidewalks are not a runners best friend, nor is the poor air quality. So after a few weeks of my sorry attempt to get back into running, I have decided to opt for a different approach. I have joined a Hapkido class.
Hapkido, the Korean art of self defense, includes a vast variety of arm an leg joint locks, weapon techniques, throw, kick, hit, and nerve pressure techniques
Hap - means "together" and means the harmony of body and spirit.
Ki - defines the life and body energy.
Do - means "way of life, way of learning".
I had my first class this morning and it was amazing! My teacher (Sansangnim) was very patient and introduced me to the etiquette and some basic poses and kicks. It is a little tricky, and definitely will be a little painful at first, but I am looking forward to learning this incredible art.
This weekend is Buddha's birthday, so I plan to get out to some temples to try to photograph the events.
I will try to write again soon.
ciao
Colleen

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home