Sunday, March 25, 2007

Korea is making me sick!


If there's one thing that I have become an expert at during my last few years in Korea - it's getting a cold. This year alone, I have caught 3 colds ...which is some sort of record....3 colds in 3 months.
I have become well rehearsed in giving my excuses : it's cold and flu season, or half my kids at school are sick, or someone sneezed/coughed and or wiped their nose on me while I was on the subway last week...all very logical and perhaps valid reasons as to why I am perpetually sick.
It seems is easy to blame my colds on the very country where the general population can be seen daily hacking their guts out freely, without so much as an attempt to raise their hand to cover their mouth.
Besides the enormous amount of dirty germs floating around, this country is just plain dirty: the air, the water, the air...oops said that one already - but it's true...as anyone who lives in Korea will attest to - the air quality here is very bad. On a good day you see people wearing white or blue masks, on a bad day people just don't go outside.

But regardless of all the excuses, I need to be honest, it's my body and I need to focus more on keeping it healthy.
And although I do enjoy the warm fuzzy feeling I get from the handfuls of extra strength, nameless blue pills generously handed out by doctors and pharmacists, I am tired of being sick and it's time to do something about it.
Needless to say, I have spent the last few fever-ridden hours lying in bed thinking of ways to better my health.
this is what I have come up with so far:
* eliminate dairy from my diet (which, since I don't drink dairy it means goodbye cheese)
* eating more fruits and veggies (and no...kimbap - although healthy- is not a vegetable)
* Try to eat only organic
* take a multi vitamin everyday (as oppose to a few times a week when I remember)
* get enough exercise , which I haven't been doing in weeks
* get sufficient sleep (at least 7 hours every night)
* practice daily meditation (which I haven't done regularly in months)

All of these seem to be the basic obvious points, I know.
So the time as come for the new and improved Colleen. I am going to stop moping and whining about how Korea makes me sick and start making some changes.

3 Comments:

At 1:38 p.m. , Blogger Peter Orange said...

www.cafenicolia.com European style cafe in Pucheon

 
At 12:32 a.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Colleen!

I'm sorry to hear you've been sick (again!!)...just focus on getting better within the next week and a half!! Talk to you soon xoxox

 
At 5:34 a.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you want to get healthy and make your body strong, stop taking all the pills/antibiotics the doctors prescribe. It's not an instant fix. The pills/antibiotics are weakening your body and making the viruses stronger/more resistant, ie. virus, pills, Strong virus, strong pills, stronger virus, stronger pills etc.,

The next time you get a cold/flu don't take any medicine and let your body heal itself(lots of sleep and healthy food) and then you won't catch colds so frequently. Maybe once a year if not longer.

The power is in your hands.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home