Saturday, November 06, 2004

Speechless in Korea

This week, as many of you know, I have had a terrible cold. I have now almost completely lost my voice, which makes teaching conversation English harder then it is meant to be. Thanks to whoever invented the crossword puzzle, you have been of enormous assistance
.
Thankfully, it is the weekend now- however, it still sucks to be sick in a foreign country - not only is my Korean very poor on good days, without a voice, even English speakers have a hard time understanding me - where's the chicken noodle soup?
I attempted to get a membership last night at my local video store. Eventually I just wrote everything down on a piece of paper. It took a bit longer, since I can't write in Korean, and the store owner couldn't read English.
Eventually, her young daughter came and helped us both out. So I ended up renting a couple of English films last night - Legally Blonde and Taking Lives. I had seen both previously, but was desperate to veg out with a couple of movies that I didn't have to be bothered reading the subtitles.

Today (Saturday), I realized that my neocitron, as good as it is, simply wasn't cutting it. This cold was far too nasty and I needed something stronger. So, in my dreadful state, I ventured out in search of a pharmacy.
I was lucky enough to find an English speaking pharmacist not too far from my house. I simply pointed to my throat, coughed and he did the talking (in English - what a lucky day I am having).
Now fully medicated, I have returned to my apartment ready for a day of sleeping and TV watching.

As I have mentioned before, my co-workers are extremely generous, caring people. Shortly after I arrived back from the pharmacy, one of my co-workers, Julie, rang my doorbell. She brought sandwiches, juice and pop for me.Very, very nice of her.

So now I am back to bed for a few hours; medicine, juice and sandwiches at my disposal.
The plan is to meet up with Ryan and Gareth tonight - it is their last weekend.
For those of you wondering, I am finally getting my cell phone tomorrow! Horrah! I will send an email with all the details.
Take care and I hope to be healthy for my next entry.
Ciao ...love Colleen

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home